Saturday, September 10, 2011

From Words to Scenes


A verse given to me by one too many-
“Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commended you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
-Joshua 1:7-9

There is something extraordinary of reading a book that talks about the city I am in,
Especially a book written 700 B.C.,
And seeing no change in the city or lifestyle.

There is something extremely extraordinary of sitting in a couch with a view of the city,
Reading about Jesus in Galatians,
And knowing that I am in the same city that Jesus’ feet once walked.

What more,
To pray to my Lord and Savior,
And know that Jesus has once done so as well.

I recognize,
And brim with tears,
That I am a privileged human being.
A nineteen year old girl, at that.
Who is the student of the Great Teacher,
And the student of many wonderful human teachers.

Last night we arrived,
Thrown into a store with not-so-cheap prices due to the Sabbath, which begins at sun down and ends the next day,
Buying ingredients for the next three to four meals with Matt,
Dehydrated and groggy, eating in half an hour,
Then leaving with the rest of the students to have a quick tour of the city.

I have no words for the beauty,
That which is unlike anything I’ve seen.
The gardens and vineyards of Italy,
The walls and dandelions that surround York’s walls,
Even the bays and beaches and sunsets of California:
None can surpass the breathtaking views of the Jerusalem walls, which overlook hills and hills of houses and lights,
Nor the solemn sanctity of the Western (wailing) wall,
And seeing the scattered sheets of papers with prayers written that fills the cracks of the walls, scattered on the floor.
Matt was astounded when we saw the Mount of Olives,
Of which I naively did not understand that is where Jesus’ foot will once again touch as the mountain splits and the sky rolls back like scrolls.
It is not the “holiness” of the city that makes it beautiful,
But the sense of walking around ruins,
Where everything, every building, is stone,
A monochrome shade of tan and history.
Where cultures clash,
And religion is seen at its peak.

I am unpacked,
Restrengthened,
Excited,
And ready.
As I prayed this morning,
I am thrilled to sense that Jesus, as a great Teacher, will teach me individually. That just as He faithfully teaches Matt, that He will also meet me where I am and teach me my own lessons.
For this I am thankful-
That I need not compare,
Nor worry,
Nor be strangely entangled with home via facebook,
But know that this trip is about
JESUS CHRIST,
My Savior,
The Messiah.

And for this reason, I awake at eight in the morning, say hello to Matthew over breakfast, and rush out of the room to find the perfect nook to spend time with my Lord this morning.
Willing to abandon all people, and all things, only to read about my Jesus,
“who gave Himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age,
According to the will of our God and Father,
To whom be the glory forever and ever.
Amen.”
-Gal. 1:3-5

-Kristin 

No comments:

Post a Comment